On this occasion, we share one of those traditional recipes that our grandmothers used to make and that always triumphs. This is a delicious chicken casserole, a dish that never fails, and everyone likes it because of the variety of ingredients it includes and its exquisite flavour.
Chicken is a type of white meat that combines with practically everything. Therefore, this is a practical and perfect recipe to take advantage of those vegetables that are about to spoil or enjoy seasonal vegetables’ benefits. We have chosen to make a chicken casserole with mushrooms and vegetables, but you can also add potatoes. You can also enhance the flavour of the dish by adding more aromatic herbs than the ones we suggest. In any case, throughout the recipe, we will be giving all these keys and recommendations.
- 1 chicken
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 carrots
- 250 millilitres of white wine
- 1 glass of water
- 2 tablespoons of wheat flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 dash of olive oil
- 1 package of mushrooms
- Clean the chicken and cut it into pieces. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper all over the elements to enhance the flavour of the chicken casserole. This recipe can be made with any part of the chicken to cook chicken thighs, wings or breasts.
- Place a pan with a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat, add the chicken and brown on all sides.
- While the chicken is browning, prepare the vegetables. To do this, peel the onion and chop it, peel the carrots and cut them into slices or small squares, wash the green bell pepper and cut it into small pieces or strips.
- When the chicken is almost browned, add the vegetables to the casserole, let them poach and brown the meat. This may take 5 to 10 minutes.
- While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, clean the mushrooms and cut them into halves or slices. Add them to the casserole to cook with the rest of the ingredients.
- When you see that the vegetables are poached, add the two tablespoons of flour and stir to integrate and cook. If you do not cook the flour, the chicken stewed in the casserole will have a slight raw flour taste.
- Pour the glass of white wine and add the bay leaf, let it cook for a few minutes so that the alcohol evaporates from the wine, stir and add a glass of water. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 25-30 minutes over medium heat. If you see that it lacks sauce, add a little more water.
- Taste for salt and adjust if necessary. Please turn off the heat and let it rest for a few seconds.
- Serve the chicken while it is still hot. Although freshly cooked, this dish is delicious; the truth is that it is even tastier from one day to the next because the flavours have just been integrated. You can accompany the chicken casserole recipe with fried or baked potatoes.