I hope this post finds you in high spirits and hungry appetites. Today, I’m over the moon to unveil a recipe that’s incredibly close to my heart – a dish that has graced our family dinners countless times, stirring impatient feet and eager eyes around the oven. Introducing my Skinny Chicken Broccoli Casserole – the perfect fusion of comfort, flavor, and nutrition!
Remember those chilly evenings when all you craved was a plate of something warm, creamy, and satisfying, yet the thought of calories made you think twice? Well, this recipe is the delightful answer to all those moments. It’s where indulgence meets health, ensuring every bite is not only delicious but also kind to your waistline.
The creamy texture, paired with the wholesome goodness of chicken and broccoli, creates a symphony of flavors in your mouth. It’s a trip down memory lane for me, reminiscent of the nights spent with loved ones, chattering, laughing, and awaiting the golden bubbly goodness to emerge from the oven. If there ever was a dish that embodies love, comfort, and health, it would undoubtedly be this casserole. And I’m absolutely ecstatic to be your guide in bringing this treasured family recipe to your own kitchen. So, if you’re on the hunt for a dish that promises warmth, love, and nutrition, look no further. Dive into the steps below, and let’s embark on this culinary adventure together!
Is this dish nutritious?
Absolutely! This casserole is rich in protein from the chicken and packed with vitamins and minerals from the broccoli. It’s a great way to nourish your body while indulging in a tasty treat.
Is it hard to prepare?
Not at all! The beauty of this dish is in its simplicity. Even if you’re a beginner in the kitchen, the step-by-step guide below ensures you nail it every time.
Can I make it ahead?
Yes! It’s perfect for those busy weekdays. You can prepare it a day ahead and just bake it when you’re ready to serve.
Is it kid-friendly?
Absolutely. The creamy texture and delightful taste make it a hit among the little ones.
How is it ‘skinny’?
We’ve made a few tweaks to ensure it’s lower in calories without compromising on the taste. So, you can enjoy every bite without any guilt!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced (about 1.5 pounds)
- 4 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups of chicken broth (preferably low-sodium)
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of nutmeg
- set your oven to a toasty 375°F. Doing so ensures a steady warmth that promises an evenly baked casserole.
- In a spacious skillet, warm the olive oil over a medium flame. Introduce your chicken pieces to the skillet and allow them to achieve a gentle golden hue. As they sizzle, add your onions, letting them dance in the pan until they achieve a see-through, glistening finish. This process lays down a deeply aromatic foundation for the casserole.
- Simultaneously, as your chicken sizzles, give your broccoli florets a quick steam bath. Aim for a tender-crisp texture, ensuring they keep their green brilliance and delightful bite when baked.
- Back in the skillet, evenly dust the flour over your chicken and onions, giving them a good stir. This floury sprinkle will play a crucial role in thickening your sauce. Gently pour in the chicken broth followed by the skim milk, maintaining a steady stir. Allow this mixture to gently bubble and thicken. As it does, season with dashes of salt, pepper, and a hint of nutmeg, introducing a comforting warmth to the mix.
- In your chosen baking dish, unite the chicken sauce mixture and the just-right broccoli. Crown this mixture with a generous sprinkle of your chosen cheese. Send the dish to bake in your pre-warmed oven for roughly 20-25 minutes, or until a gorgeous golden crust forms and the insides bubble with joy.
- Once its oven journey concludes, grant your casserole a brief 5-minute rest. This short pause allows the myriad of flavors to get to know each other better. With that, plate up, serve with love, and savor the harmonious, healthful flavors in every bite!
- Always opt for fresh broccoli and high-quality chicken. It truly makes a difference in the flavor profile.
- Feel free to use different types of cheese. Mozzarella or Monterey Jack can also be delightful.
- For an extra zing, consider adding a dash of paprika or red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Make sure to reheat in the oven to retain the texture.
- This casserole pairs wonderfully with a side salad or crusty bread.