Howdy peanut butter lovers! I’ve got an irresistible new treat I can’t WAIT to share with you all – my Homemade Peanut Butter Pie! This decadent dessert truly takes peanut butter deliciousness up a notch.
As soon as you sink your fork into this pie, you’ll be astonished at how perfectly smooth, rich and nutty sweet the filling is. And when paired with a buttery graham cracker crust? Utter perfection. It’s like someone transformed your favorite giant peanut butter cup into a pie masterpiece!
I love finding new twists on classic desserts, and this recipe absolutely delivers. The filling has only a few simple ingredients you likely have on hand – peanut butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese and whipped topping. But when blended together and piled high into a crisp crust? Pure magic!
This showstopping pie is now a staple at all my family gatherings and potlucks. I always have people begging for the recipe after they polish off the first round of slices! It’s a true crowd pleaser and incredibly easy to throw together.
If you adore peanut butter like I do, do yourself a favor and try this pie. One bite and I guarantee it’ll become your new favorite dessert obsession!
Let’s start with the FAQs:
What type of peanut butter works best in this pie?
A creamy or crunchy peanut butter works great. I recommend using a traditional peanut butter rather than a natural or low-fat one for the best consistency.
Can I make this pie with almond butter or another nut butter instead?
Yes! Feel free to substitute almond butter, cashew butter or any other nut butter you enjoy. The flavor will change slightly depending on the nut butter used.
Is this pie better with a graham cracker crust or chocolate crust?
While both crusts pair deliciously, I personally love the flavor contrast of the nutty peanut butter filling with a graham cracker crust. However, you can certainly use an Oreo crust, chocolate wafer crust etc.
Can I make this pie in advance?
Absolutely! This pie holds up very well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Just allow it to soften slightly at room temperature before serving.
How long does unbaked peanut butter pie filling last in the fridge?
The peanut butter filling will keep for 3-4 days refrigerated in an airtight container before adding to a pie crust and baking.
What’s the best way to slice and serve the pie?
I recommend slicing with a thin, sharp knife dipped in hot water. Wipe clean and re-dip between cuts for perfect slices every time. Garnish plates with whipped cream if desired!
Can I freeze any leftover peanut butter pie?
You sure can! Tightly wrap any uneaten portions in plastic wrap or foil and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in fridge before serving.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- 1 prepared graham cracker pie crust (9 inch)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 12 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Chopped peanuts, Reese’s Pieces for garnish (optional)
- Assemble Key Components
- Let’s gather our all-star cast of ingredients! You’ll need creamy peanut butter, softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, cool whipped topping and a baked pie crust hungry for filling.
- Cream Together Peanut Butter and Cream Cheese
- Add 1 cup of smooth, velvety peanut butter and 8oz of softened cream cheese to a roomy mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to blend them on medium-high speed until combined and smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Beat in Powdered Sugar
- Keep mixer running and slowly pour in 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar. Once fully incorporated, continue mixing 3-4 minutes more until mixture is light and fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl midway through.
- Carefully Fold in Whipped Topping
- Open container of thawed whipped topping, being careful not to let air escape. Gently fold it into peanut butter mixture using a spatula or wooden spoon. Turn slowly only until just blended together to avoid deflating. Do not overmix.
- Transfer to Pie Crust
- Using your spatula, evenly spread filling mixture into waiting pie crust. Smooth top neatly into one even layer right to edges.
- Refrigerate Before Cutting
- Loosely cover pie and chill at least 4 full hours or overnight to firm up before slicing perfect wedges.
- Add Toppings and Dive In!
- Just before serving, top pie with Reese’s Pieces, chopped nuts or chocolate chips if desired. Now grab your fork and take that first sweet, nutty bite of peanut butter heaven!
- Use room temperature cream cheese and peanut butter for the smoothest texture. Softened spreads blend together beautifully.
- Chill the filled pie crust for at least 4 hours (or overnight) so the filling can firm up nicely. This helps achieve clean slice lines.
- When adding the whipped topping, fold gently to prevent deflating. Overmixing turns the filling runny.
- If desired, garnish with chopped nuts, chocolate chips or candy pieces before chilling so they adhere properly.
- Store leftover pie covered in the fridge for 3-4 days. Allow to slightly soften before enjoying more luscious slices!