I have been craving these noodles like crazy lately, so I just had to share this recipe with you guys! I can only look back at the golden days with longing as I remember pulling out a carton of mac and cheese and minutes later, dinner would be ready and on the table! I used to prepare mac and cheese all the time for the kids I would Nanny. It was a favorite go-to! I must say, this recipe is a bit different when you take out the cheese… and the noodles, but you wouldn’t know by the way I keep coming back to the pot for more!
dairy-free mac and cheese
I decided to add a bit of lemon to my noodles to add a tang, but this is optional really, you can make it whatever way you prefer. I absolutely love using my spiralizer to make butternut squash noodles! Butternut noodles are a soft and creamy way to enjoy your noodles! I had so much fun trying to come up with a fancy creative name for the butter noodle macaroni and cheese…I’m so glad I stuck with Paleo “Mac and Cheese” Noodles! Who would know what a buddle is!?
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk ( use Thai Kitchen brand)
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Begin by peeling and spiraling the butternut squash.
- Steam the butternut noodles in a steamer for 20 minutes.
- For the cheese sauce, whisk the rest of the ingredients together in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Cook the sauce and continue to whisk consistently for 5 minutes until the cheese sauce thickens.
- Toss the noodles in the cheese sauce and serve.