The title says it all: a classic and straightforward recipe, but practical for all gourmands!
The sweet pastry :
- 300 gr of flour
- 100 gr of sugar
- 100 g of butter
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 grated lemon peel or vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
The Pastry Cream :
- 500 ml of milk
- 120 g of sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 40 g of cornstarch (maïzena)
- 1 organic lemon
- 2 options to make it: In a food processor or by hand.
- In the food processor, add the ingredients in the order indicated below.
- By hand: In a bowl, mix the sugar with the butter cut into small pieces.
- Add salt, whole egg and yolk and mix quickly.
- Add the flour until the dough begins to form.
- Place the dough on your floured work surface and knead until you have an elastic dough that does not stick to your hands.
- Put the batter in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
The Pastry Cream:
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk to a boil with the zest of one lemon. Spice should be removed with a peeler.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar, then add the cornstarch.
- Mix well, remove the zests and gradually pour in the boiling milk.
- Put the pan back on the heat and let it cook until it thickens. Reserve.
The Confection :
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Spread the pastry on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin.
- Carefully place the dough in a pie pan (22cm) previously buttered and floured.
- Take the cooled cream, mix it vigorously with a whisk. It tends to compact as it cools.
- Pour the cream on the bottom of the pie previously pricked with a fork.
- Roll it out again and form 6 wide strips with a knife and a ruler to help you with the remaining dough. Decorate the pie with the strips.
- Bake the pie for 35 minutes.
Decorate the pie with powdered sugar!
Tip: if you won’t like me not to have powdered sugar on the cream: take a cotton swab previously wet and remove the powdered sugar on the surface! 😉