Tortillas are one of the best flavour vehicles for many dishes in many cuisines. Honestly, we have tried so many store-bought ones, but nothing can beat the flavour and texture of the homemade ones. They are easy to make and just need a few minutes in the kitchen.
All you need is just 4 ingredients to make these flour tortillas, and we promise they are of the right consistency and texture that will satisfy you. And the best thing is that you can store them just like the store-bought ones. So why wait? Let us make them now!
Tips and Tricks
- You can knead the dough in the stand mixers until smooth, but we recommend using your hands. The warmth of the hands will activate the baking powder and makes the dough softer.
- The maximum resting time will make the dough elastic and the tortillas softer.
- Never stack the rolled-out tortilla upon one another; they will stick together.
How to store the Homemade Tortillas:
- You can store the homemade cooked tortillas in a zipped lock bag or an air-tight container. We recommend 5 days in the refrigerator. If you want to freeze them, make sure to stack them with parchment between the tortillas and place them in a Ziplock bag. You can freeze the tortillas for 3 months.
- If you want to use the refrigerated or frozen tortillas, just microwave them with 30 seconds intervals until soft.
Homemade Flour Tortillas – The Recipe
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Resting Time: 1 to 2 hours
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup water, lukewarm
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 2/3 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl and mix them well.
- Now make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add olive oil and half of the water.
- Gently knead the dough while gradually adding water when needed. You can also use your stand mixer with the dough hook for kneading the dough. Make sure to incorporate all ingredients.
- Once the dough comes together as a shaggy dough ball, knead on the lightly floured surface for 1 to 2 minutes or until the dough is smooth.
- Place the dough in the greased bowl and lightly grease the top of the dough. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rest for at least 15 minutes to 2 hours at room temperature.
- Once the dough is rested, divide it into 10 to 12 equal parts and make tiny dough balls.
- Cover the dough balls with a clean kitchen towel for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
- Now roll out each dough with the help of a lightly dusted rolling pin into tortillas around ½ an inch thick. You can also use a tortilla press.
- Now gently heat a pan on low to medium heat.
- Place the tortilla over the pan and cook it for 40 to 50 seconds or until lightly bubbly.
- Flip and cook for 20 to 30 seconds on the other side.
- Repeat cooking them as instructed above.
- Tortillas are ready to be eaten and used.