Fresh broccoli and cheese soup is a delicious wintertime dish. You can make it with fresh or frozen broccoli and any cheese that melts well. This recipe relies on the use of cheddar cheese and fresh vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 50 g melted butter
- 50 g flour
- 400 g half cream, half whole milk (half and half)
- 500 ml chicken or beef stock
- 250 g fresh broccoli, chopped
- 200 g carrots, julienned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 240 g strong cheddar cheese, grated
Prepare the base of the recipe
- Brown the onions. Melt a knob of butter in a small skillet. When hot, add the chopped onion. Cook the onion until translucent, then remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Put butter in a cast iron pan or Dutch oven and let it melt over medium heat, it should sizzle.
- Pour in flour to make a roux. Use a whisk to mix the flour and butter, the butter will thicken and turn slightly brown. Stir constantly so it doesn’t turn black. When you have a golden brown color, which takes 3 to 5 minutes, your roux is ready!
- Add the liquids. When the roux is ready, add the half-and-half. Pour in the chicken broth as well, while stirring constantly. Stir until you have a perfect mixture.
- Bring this mixture to a simmer. Bring the liquid to a low boil. Let it cook for 20 minutes. During this time, you will prepare the other ingredients.
- The mixture should not boil. Do not hesitate to lower the heat.
- If you like spicy soups, add some black pepper and a few turns of the cayenne pepper mill.
Cook the broccoli and vegetables
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions to this preparation. Stir well. Let the vegetables cook on low heat for about 25 minutes.
- Again, do not boil!
- Taste the soup and adjust the spices.
- Cook the soup until it has thickened. After 25 minutes, it should become thicker. Remove it from the heat when it has the desired texture.
- Taste. At this point, add salt and pepper to taste. Add nutmeg and other spices if desired. Blend well.
- Blend your soup. Using a soup blender or food processor (in which case you’ll need to transfer), blend the soup to a smooth consistency. Once blended, return the soup to medium heat.
- If you want to keep the whole broccoli and vegetable pieces, skip this step or blend only half of the vegetables.
- Use a soup blender if you have one, it will save you from transferring the soup.
Finalize the soup
- Stir in the cheese. Add the grated cheese to the hot soup. Use a spoon to stir and let it melt completely. Taste your soup! The soup is finished when the cheese is melted and all the flavors are there!
- Serve the soup. Pour into bowls and serve with crusty bread slices, some rice, or a green salad.
- For presentation, sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top!