I love breakfast/brunch. It’s not uncommon in our house to plan “big breakfasts” at lunch where dishes like this one take center stage. It’s a little more work than the classic 2 egg bacon but it’s really good. If you make this recipe at your next brunch, your guests simply won’t believe it!
- 1 half-baked pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 pouch hollandaise sauce
- 2 cups grated cheese of your choice
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- ½ tsp. ground sage
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tbsp. sugar
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Pepper to taste
- The day before, place the fennel seeds in a mortar and crush them. Place all ingredients for the breakfast sausage in a bowl and mix well. Place in the refrigerator and cover with plastic wrap.
- That morning, start by cooking the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat. Be sure to break it up into pieces.
- Prepare the hollandaise sauce as indicated on the package.
- Spread hollandaise sauce on pizza. Add the sausage evenly. You can add more hollandaise sauce on top of the sausage if you are a “sauce” type.
- Add the cheese.
- Put the pizza in the oven on low for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it, it shouldn’t burn!
- During this time, cook 4 to 6 mirror eggs. Once the pizza is ready, add the eggs on top and enjoy.
You can of course use Italian sausage meat or commercial breakfast sausages if you are in a bit of a hurry. There are no rules, you can use your favorite foods like ham, bacon or even bacon beans for a sweet and sour result!