Hey friends! I’m so thrilled to share my oven-baked copycat of the legendary Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken – one of my all-time favorite dishes on the planet! This chicken recipe brings together an incredible medley of flavors and textures that will have your tastebuds doing backflips.
Let me describe what makes this dish so drool-worthy. We start with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which get freshly breaded in a flavorful coat of flour, egg, and crispy panko breadcrumbs. As the chicken bakes in the oven, the coating transforms into a beautifully golden, ultra-crunchy exterior enveloping the moist and tender chicken within.
But wait, we’re just getting started! Next comes the part that makes Alice Springs Chicken iconic – the sweet and tangy honey mustard sauce, kicked up with a hint of garlic. We generously douse the crispy chicken with this mouthwatering sauce, letting the flavors seep into every nook and cranny.
Then comes the fun part – piling on the toppings! Crispy chopped bacon, melty Monterey Jack cheese, earthy sauteed mushrooms, juicy tomato, and crisp red onion take this chicken over the top. The interplay between the crispy, creamy, crunchy and juicy textures is absolutely heavenly.
With its layers of sweet, savory, tangy and salty flavors in each bite, this Alice Springs chicken recipe is an absolute crowd-pleaser! The contrast of flavors and textures excites your tastebuds like nothing else. I’m getting hungry just writing about it!
So if you’re looking for a chicken dish that packs a flavor punch like no other, look no further. My oven-baked copycat Alice Springs Chicken is calling your name!
What cut of chicken is best for this recipe?
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts work great. They bake up tender and juicy inside with a crispy coating.
What if I don’t have panko breadcrumbs?
Regular breadcrumbs or even crushed cornflakes or potato chips can be used instead of panko for the crispy coating.
Can I prep the chicken ahead of time?
Yes! After breading, the chicken can be refrigerated up to 24 hours before baking. Just add 5-10 mins to the baking time.
What sides go well with Alice Springs Chicken?
Rice pilaf or buttered noodles are nice starch counterparts. A fresh green salad balances the richness.
What honey is best for the mustard sauce?
I prefer clover or wildflower honey for their mild, neutral flavor, but any variety works. Go for what you have in your pantry!
What beverage pairs nicely with this chicken?
A crisp Sauvignon Blanc or chilled lager make excellent pairings with the sweet-tangy flavors.
How can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Substitute almond meal or rice flour for the regular flour. Use certified GF panko-style breadcrumbs for the coating. Verify other ingredients are GF too.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients (converted to US metrics):
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 lbs or 680 g)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs (180 g)
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (227 g)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced (227 g)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- For the honey mustard sauce:
- 1⁄2 cup honey (340 g)
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard (59 ml)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (30 g)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preheating your oven to 400°F. You’ll want it nice and hot to get that crispy golden coating on the chicken. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. The paper makes for easy clean-up later!
- Prepare your breading station. Arrange 3 shallow dishes or pie plates – one with 1 cup of all-purpose flour, one with 3 beaten large eggs, and one with 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs. I like to add a few dashes of garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper to the flour and panko for extra flavor. Stir to evenly incorporate the spices.
- Pat the 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Season both sides liberally with salt and pepper for a flavorful crisp coating. Dredge the chicken on both sides in the seasoned flour, coat thoroughly in the beaten eggs, allowing any excess to drip off, then firmly press both sides into the panko breadcrumbs until completely and evenly covered. Transfer breaded chicken pieces to the prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then very carefully flip each chicken breast over using tongs. Be gentle – you want that beautiful crunchy coating to stay intact! Bake another 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through with an internal temperature of 165°F and the coating is crisp and deep golden brown.
- While the chicken bakes, chop 8 slices bacon into 1-inch pieces. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add the chopped bacon. Cook, stirring often with a spatula, until the bacon is fully rendered and crispy, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer the crispy chopped bacon pieces to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess grease.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the honey mustard glaze ingredients – 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons mayo and 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder. Whisk vigorously until fully blended. Microwave 30 seconds to thin out honey. Season glaze to taste with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- After removing bacon from the skillet, immediately add 8 ounces sliced mushrooms. Raise heat to medium-high. Saute mushrooms, stirring often, until they are softened and browned, about 5 minutes. The hot bacon grease adds wonderful flavor!
- Once chicken is done baking, remove from the oven and sprinkle evenly with 1/2 pound shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Return sheet to oven for 2-3 minutes, just until melted and bubbly.
- Top chicken breasts evenly with the cooked bacon, sauteed mushrooms, 1 diced medium tomato and 1 thinly sliced small red onion for pops of color and freshness.
- Finally, generously drizzle the sweet, tangy honey mustard sauce all over the cheesy, crispy chicken and toppings using a circular motion to cover evenly. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- For even crispier chicken, replace panko breadcrumbs with crushed corn flakes cereal or potato chips.
- Make sure to flip the chicken halfway during baking for evenly golden crispy coating.
- Coat the baking sheet with foil for easier clean-up.
- Use pre-chopped mushrooms from the produce section to save prep time.
- For spicier kick, add cayenne pepper or hot sauce to the honey mustard sauce.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes to balance the crispy chicken textures.