Hello to our cherished and vibrant visitors ! I am bursting with excitement and can hardly contain the elation in my heart as I prepare to unwrap a culinary gem for you all: the mesmerizing Italian Drunken Noodles. Every time its whimsical name rolls off my tongue, I’m infused with a jubilant zest, reminiscent of the pure joy of an Italian carnival!
Picture this: meandering through the romantic alleyways of an ancient Italian town, the scent of fresh basil wafting through the air, and the harmonious tunes of street musicians setting the scene. It was on such a magical day that I stumbled upon this dish, a true hidden treasure of Italian cuisine. My initial intrigue was solely because of its catchy name. I thought, “What an adventurous dish this must be!” But, oh my stars! The taste was a revelation – a symphony of flavors dancing jubilantly on my palate. Each bite was like being serenaded by an Italian balladeer under the Tuscan sun.
The fusion of ingredients felt like a poetic narrative, a passionate embrace of Italy’s deep-rooted culinary traditions, and a forward-looking innovation. It was a rhapsody, a celebration, a joyous festival of flavors and textures. And now, my dear friends, I’m on cloud nine to share this euphoric experience, to transport you through words (and soon, flavors) to that enchanting Italian afternoon. Buckle up, food lovers; we’re about to embark on a gastronomic odyssey that promises pure, unadulterated delight!
Is it really an Italian dish?
Absolutely! Although it might sound a bit unconventional, it’s a delightful fusion of Italian flavors and textures.
What’s the story behind the name “drunken”?
The “drunken” refers to the wine used in the sauce. The wine envelops the noodles, giving them a rich and deep flavor that’s simply irresistible!
What kind of wine should I use?
Any dry red wine will do. Remember, if you’d enjoy drinking it, it’s good for cooking!
Can kids enjoy this dish?
Yes! The alcohol from the wine burns off during cooking, leaving behind only the robust flavors.
Is it difficult to prepare?
Not at all! With the step-by-step guide below, you’ll master it in no time.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 12 oz. of wide pappardelle pasta
- 1 pound of spicy Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 large bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes (with juices)
- ¾ cup of dry red wine
- ¼ cup of fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional, for added heat)
- Start by setting a generous pot of water on the stove and bringing it to a spirited boil. A pinch of salt not only seasons the water but also amplifies the inherent taste of the pasta. As the bubbles rise, immerse the pappardelle pasta, letting it cook until it reaches that ideal al dente texture. This ensures the pasta will be ready to soak up our decadent wine-infused sauce. Once cooked, drain and reserve.
- Take a broad skillet and warm the olive oil at a medium flame. Tumble in the spicy Italian sausage, crumbling it gently as it sizzles. Once it achieves a radiant golden hue, you’re on the path to perfection. Extract the sausage and keep it handy for later.
- Without cleaning the skillet, introduce the onions and bell peppers. The lingering sausage essence will elevate these simple veggies, making them stars in their own right! When they soften and gain a hint of golden color, infuse the garlic, letting its aromatic charm fill your kitchen.
- Gently pour the dry red wine, ensuring to lift any flavorful tidbits clinging to the skillet’s base. This action, known as deglazing, is the key to unlocking profound flavors. Allow the wine to bubble and thicken, reducing its volume by half, letting it become a silky companion for our noodles.
- Add the diced tomatoes to this simmering mixture. Their lushness, combined with the wine, concocts a sauce that’s the perfect blend of zesty and sumptuous.
- Reintroduce the earlier seared sausage to the pan, stirring it into the mix. Give it a few moments to simmer and let all the ingredients meld in a harmonious ballet of flavors.
- Now, usher in the al dente pappardelle. With care, blend ensuring each pasta ribbon luxuriates in our rich sauce. Tailor the seasoning with salt, pepper, and a hint of red pepper flakes if you’re feeling a tad adventurous.
- As you prepare to plate, shower the dish with aromatic fresh basil and a generous snowfall of grated Parmesan. It’s these final touches that bring a zing of freshness and a comforting, cheesy embrace to each bite!
- Pappardelle is ideal for this dish due to its wide shape, but feel free to experiment with other pasta types!
- Whenever possible, opt for fresh herbs and vegetables. They enhance the dish’s authenticity and flavor.
- Don’t skip the wine; it’s the star! But ensure you use a wine you’d enjoy drinking.
- Adjust the heat according to your preference. If spicy isn’t your thing, opt for mild Italian sausage and skip the red pepper flakes.
- this dish tastes even better the next day! Store in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat gently.