Homemade pineapple cake is a traditionally Venezuelan dessert and is well known in the rest of Latin America as well. Its eye-catching pineapple slice decoration and sour cherries make it provocative to anyone’s eyes. This easy-to-make pineapple cake is perfect for eating at any time of the year, but it is in December, during the Christmas holidays when it is a must in any home. Cheer up and learn how to make this magnificent pineapple cake with Jeviko.com in less than an hour.
For the cake:
- 250 grams margarine.
- 1½ cups of sugar (300 grams)
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups of prepared flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 can pineapple in syrup (sliced)
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- Candied cherries or cherries (optional)
For the caramel:
- 3 tablespoons of margarine
- 2 cups of pineapple juice
- 1 drop of lemon juice
- 3 cups of sugar (600 grams)
- Using a blender, beat the butter until it is creamy. Then add the sugar little by little until it dissolves, and then add the egg yolks one by one to mix well. Set aside the whites of eggs for later.
- Add the flour and the baking powder, previously sifted or sieved, together with the pineapple juice. Remember to save a little of the liquid to make the caramel. In this step, it is essential to mix everything little by little and well, always in an enveloping way and finishing with a bit of flour, but mix only what is necessary because if you do it too much, you could make the pineapple cake batter not rise at the time of cooking.
- To complete the mixture, add the egg whites beaten stiff. To achieve this, if you do it with an electric mixer, do it at low speed, but if you do it by hand, you will have no problems. This will help to make the pineapple cake spongy and smooth.
- To prepare the liquid caramel, put in a saucepan or pot the three tablespoons of margarine or butter to melt. Then add the sugar and the rest of the pineapple juice from the canning and wait until it has a golden color and all the ingredients are well integrated.
- Pour the caramel into the mold you will use to bake the pineapple cake in the oven. Cover the entire base and walls well, and then place a base layer of pineapple slices, draining them beforehand.
- Finally, pour all the dough into the mold. Put the pineapple cake in the preheated oven at 180 °C for about 40-45 minutes, and to check that it is ready, you can insert a toothpick or wooden skewer in the middle and wait until it comes out empty. Once ready, let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes, remove the pineapple cake from the mold before it cools completely and serve it with a coconut mojito, for example, a divine combination!
Tip: You can decorate it with cherries or candied cherries at the end by putting them in the center of the slices to attract attention.