Fried apple pies are a perfect treat for those who have a sweet tooth. The crispy crust and a rich apple filling inside is just the right thing to make your day. These pies are tasteful and perfect for every occasion.
Fried Apple Pies – The recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
For the Pie crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 2 tbsp shortening
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Peach filling
- 8 oz frozen apples
- 1 tsp butter, unsalted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
For the Glaze
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Salt, to taste
For The Pie Crust
- In a standing mixer bowl, add all-purpose flour and salt.
- Add cubed cold butter and shortening and whisk the ingredients at low to medium speed until everything is well combined and you get a crumbly mixture.
- Slowly pour in cold water while the mixer runs until it forms a dough.
- Turn off the mixer, and take the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until it is soft to touch.
- Split the dough into 4 parts. Use your hands to roll it into a ball.
- Place each ball on a parchment-lined baking tray and press it using a bowl or a glass until you get a flat disc.
- Cover the tray with a kitchen towel and place it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
For the Peach Filling
- Decore the apples, and cut them into equal slices.
- In a saucepan, add granulated white sugar and apples.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and let the apples cook until soft. Stir occasionally.
- Once the sauce thickens up, add lemon juice and butter. Mix well.
- Turn off the heat and set the saucepan aside. Let it cool down.
For The Glaze
- In a bowl, add milk and powdered sugar and mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Mix well and set it aside.
- Take the dough discs out of the refrigerator and roll them until they are 6 inches wide.
- Place cooled apple filling in the middle of the rolled dough.
- Fold the dough into a crescent and secure the edges with the back of a fork.
- Repeat the process until you have used up all the dough pieces.
- In a saucepan, heat oil.
- Place pies into the oil and fry them for about 3 minutes or until they get a golden brown color. You can also cook these pies in an air fryer at 350 degrees F for about 7 minutes. Flip halfway into the cook.
- Once done, take them off the oil and onto a cooling rack.
- Drizzle prepared glaze on top and serve.