Hello to all the lovely aficionados of “Life with Jeviko”! Ever stumbled upon a dish’s title that made you raise an eyebrow, only to find it’s not quite what it seemed? Today, let’s unwrap the enigma that is City Chicken. No, it’s not our beloved bird, but by the end, you won’t even be thinking about chicken.
Ever wondered why you should dabble in this mysterious un-chicken masterpiece? Because it’s a burst of savory joy, a dance of flavors, and let’s face it, it’s an icebreaker. Once you’ve got this in your culinary arsenal, expect endless requests for encores and perhaps a few tales behind its unique moniker!
City Chicken is made of?
Hold onto your hats! Primarily pork or veal, or a delightful mix of both. The name hails from a period when chicken was the urban elite, and innovative meats were fashioned to mimic chicken limbs.
Why is this dish a must-try?
Beyond its tantalizing taste, it’s a whimsical deviation from your monotonous meal plans. Additionally, it’s a gateway to a wider world of meaty wonders.
City Chicken’s ideal presentation?
Hot and fresh from the oven. Ensemble it with classics like buttery mashed potatoes or crisp green beans for a fulfilling feast.
Is it suitable for rookie chefs?
Without a doubt! Just stick to the illustrated guide, and you’ll plate up a masterpiece.
The lore of City Chicken?
Birthed during the Great Depression, City Chicken was a butcher’s crafty method to market lesser-desired meat cuts by shaping them like chicken drumsticks. It’s a gustatory salute to innovation amidst adversity!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 lb pork (or veal), cubed to 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 robust egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup flour for the finesse
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper for zest
- 2 tbsp of vegetable elixir for frying
- Wooden stakes
- Warm-Up: Get your oven humming at 375°F (190°C). A uniform temperature is crucial for skewer perfection.
- Staking Claim: Sprinkle the meat chunks with ample salt and pepper. Stake them onto the wooden pins, reserving some grip space at the end.
- The Triple Threat: Dive the staked meat into the whisked egg – our breadcrumb magnet. Roll in flour, immerse again in egg, and waltz through breadcrumbs. This trifecta promises a delectable crunch.
- Sear: In a pan, invoke the vegetable elixir over a medium flame. Upon heating, escort the stakes, letting them tan to a golden allure.
- Oven Magic: Relocate the tanned stakes onto a baking tray. Drizzle milk around, not atop. This arcane step ensures a moist core and a crunchy sheath. Let it bake for around 45 minutes.
- Feast: Post oven rendezvous, give them a brief respite. Team up with your chosen accompaniments, and let the flavors and tales unfold on your platter!
- Meat Choice: Opt for pork shoulder for its melt-in-the-mouth texture.
- Spacing: Let the meat breathe on the skewer for uniform cooking.
- Searing Significance: It’s the guardian of the meat’s essence and the architect of the crust.
- Milk’s Mystique: It’s the tenderizer, crafting that soft texture.
- Preservation: Leftovers? Nest them in an airtight sanctuary in the fridge. They’re delectable round two companions.
- Plating Proposal: Velvety mashed potatoes or vibrant steamed veggies are the ideal partners for City Chicken’s rich palette.