Everyone will love these cute little carolers! To color the cookie dough, you’ll need to purchase colouring paste (Wilton type), which can be found in some bakeries and kitchen supply stores, including Ares.
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- colouring paste (Wilton type) in different colours
- miniature candies
- coconut flakes
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter until light. Add sugar in three additions, beating between each addition. Add egg and vanilla and mix. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cooking spray and salt. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture in three additions and blend until smooth dough.
- Reserve 3/4 cup (180 mL) of the dough to make hats, scarves and ear muffs. Divide the remaining dough into two portions. Using a toothpick, add a small amount of colouring paste of the desired colour to each piece to make the faces and mix until the colour is uniform. Shape each portion into an 8″ (20 cm) long roll. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until rolls are firm.
- Divide reserved dough into three portions. Using a toothpick, add a small amount of the desired colour dough to each piece to make the hats, scarves and earmuffs and mix until the colour is uniform. Shape enough hats, scarves and earmuffs for about 60 cookies. (You can make the dough rolls, hats, scarves and earmuffs ahead of time and cover them with plastic wrap. They will last up to overnight in the fridge).
- Cut dough rolls into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices. Place half of the cookies on two parchment-lined or buttered baking sheets, leaving about 1″ (2.5 cm) space between each cookie. With a straw or toothpick, poke holes for the mouths. Place hats, scarves and earmuffs on cookies, pressing gently to adhere. Attach candy for eyes and press coconut flakes for hair.
- Place one cookie sheet on the top rack of a 350°F (180°C) preheated oven and another on the bottom shelf. Bake for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned (switch and rotate sheets halfway through baking). Place plates on wire racks and let cool for 1 minute (reseal mouth holes, if necessary). Place cookies on shelves and let cool completely. Bake remaining cookies in the same manner.
Makes about 60 cookies.