Do you love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter? Then this dreamy, decadent peanut butter chocolate chip pie is guaranteed to become your new favorite dessert! With its incredibly smooth and creamy peanut butter filling swirled with mini chocolate chips and a crisp, buttery cookie crust, every bite of this pie is pure bliss.
I’m so excited to share this luscious pie recipe with you today. It’s incredibly easy to make, yet looks and tastes like you spent hours slaving away in the kitchen! Here are some commonly asked questions about this sensational pie before we get to the recipe:
What type of crust is best for this pie?
A crisp, crunchy chocolate chip cookie crust is the perfect complement to the rich, velvety filling. The sweetness and texture contrast is fabulous!
Can I use regular peanut butter instead of creamy?
Stick with creamy peanut butter for the smoothest texture and flavor in the filling. Regular peanut butter has a gritty texture that you don’t want in this pie.
How long does the pie need to chill before serving?
Allow the pie to chill for at least 1 hour or up to 4 days for the best flavor and texture. The filling needs time to set up.
What’s the best way to slice and serve the pie?
Use a sharp knife to slice the pie. Wipe the blade clean between slices for neat slices. Serve chilled with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
Can I make the pie ahead of time?
Yes! This pie holds up very well when made 1-2 days in advance. Store it covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
What special equipment do I need to make this pie?
Just a regular mixing bowl and hand mixer or stand mixer. No special equipment needed!
How can I adapt this recipe if I have food allergies?
You can substitute almond butter or sunflower seed butter for the peanut butter if needed. Omit the chocolate chips for a peanut butter cream pie.
Now that your questions are answered, let’s get to the recipe! This incredible pie comes together in just a few simple steps.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: N/A
Total Time: 5 hours (includes chilling time)
- For the Foundation:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (7 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- For the Velvety Filling:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- Construct the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla until incorporated.
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix on low speed just until a dough forms. Avoid over-stirring. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly press the dough into a 9-inch pie plate, building it up the sides. Use your fingers to patch any crevices.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until set and lightly golden. Let cool completely before filling.
- Make the filling: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and peanut butter until utterly smooth and creamy. Blend in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- In a separate chilled bowl, whip the heavy cream on high speed until stiff peaks form, 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture in two batches. Fold slowly to maintain airiness.
- Once combined, fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Spread the filling evenly into the cooled pie crust. Smooth the top with an offset spatula or knife.
- Cover pie and refrigerate at least 1 hour before slicing to let filling solidify.
- Serve chilled, storing any leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Let all ingredients come to room temperature for the smoothest, lump-free filling.
- Use an ice bath to chill the bowl and beaters before whipping the cream for the fastest whipping time.
- Fold the whipped cream in gently to avoid deflating it.
- Chill the pie for the full time for clean slices. Don’t rush it!
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge to maintain texture. Let sit briefly at room temp before serving.
- Garnish slices with chocolate shavings, chopped peanuts, or fresh whipped cream.
- Substitute the chocolate chips with peanut butter chips or toffee chips if desired.