Grab your aprons and get those taste buds ready, friends – we’re about to take a journey into cream sauce bliss! Today I’m sharing my top-secret recipe for the most irresistibly delicious, over-the-top creamy Chicken Lombardy. One bite of this chicken bathed in velvety sauce and your dinner dreams will come true.
You’re probably wondering…what makes this Chicken Lombardy so special? Well let me tell you. It starts with the juiciest, most flavorful chicken. We coat it lightly in flour then sear it to golden brown perfection. Next, we build an intensely rich and robust sauce, full of depth and bold flavors from Marsala wine, fresh mushrooms, and savory chicken broth.
But the real magic happens when we incorporate the cream. Oh that heavenly cream! It transforms the sauce into an outrageously lush blanket of silk that clings to every morsel of chicken in the most tantalizing way. I’m talking melt-in-your-mouth, eyes-roll-back-in-your-head creaminess in each decadent bite!
Trust me, this Chicken Lombardy is about to rock your dinner world. Gone are the days of boring, bland chicken dishes. This recipe will make you feel like a saucy maestro as you whisk up the most irresistibly velvety cream sauce your taste buds have ever experienced.
I can practically hear your stomachs rumbling in anticipation. So let’s get cooking, sauce bosses! Follow me below as I walk you through creating the chicken dinner of your dreams – an outrageously creamy Chicken Lombardy that will leave your family begging for more. The restaurant-worthy flavors are only a few steps away!
What makes Chicken Lombardy different from other chicken cream sauce recipes?
The Marsala wine is the special ingredient that sets it apart! The Marsala adds a wonderfully complex, nuanced flavor you don’t get from heavy cream alone.
Can I use regular button mushrooms instead of a mushroom mix?
Absolutely! Button mushrooms will work just fine. The mix of mushrooms simply adds more visual appeal and flavor depth.
What sides go well with Chicken Lombardy?
Mashed potatoes or buttery noodles are classic pairings to soak up the luscious sauce. Steamed broccoli or green beans also balance the richness nicely.
Is Chicken Lombardy suitable for company or entertaining?
Yes, it’s an elegant yet easy dish to serve guests. Just remember to use the best wine and cream you can find for a real treat!
What do I do if the sauce breaks or curdles?
No worries! Just remove from heat and whisk vigorously to re-emulsify the sauce. You may need to add a touch more cream or broth to smooth it out.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned (about 2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (roughly 3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper as desired
- Get prepping by gently flattening the chicken breasts between plastic wrap using a meat mallet or rolling pin until evenly 1/2-inch thick. This assists in even cooking.
- Next, pour some flour into a shallow bowl. Coat the chicken pieces in the flour on both sides, shaking off any surplus. The flour helps thicken the sauce later.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Once hot, add the floured chicken breasts and cook approximately 5 minutes per side until lightly browned and nearly cooked through. Transfer the browned chicken to a clean plate.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and finely minced garlic to the hot skillet. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring periodically, until the mushrooms are tender. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
- Deglaze the pan by pouring in the Marsala wine, stirring and scraping up any tasty browned bits from the bottom. Allow the wine to reduce for 2 minutes.
- Whisk the chicken broth and heavy cream into the skillet. Gently simmer until thickened to a velvety gravy-like texture. Return the browned chicken and juices back to the pan.
- Decrease heat to medium-low. Allow the chicken to simmer for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until fully cooked through with no pink inside.
- Finally, transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Stir fresh parsley into the rich sauce and season as desired. Ladle the Marsala cream sauce over the chicken and savor this elegant dish!
- Use high-quality ingredients for the best flavor, especially the Marsala wine and cream.
- Don’t overcook the chicken or the sauce will become greasy. Simmer gently.
- Slice the mushrooms evenly so they cook at the same rate.
- Let the sauce reduce slightly to thicken it before adding the cream.
- For added richness, stir in a few tablespoons of cold butter at the end.
- Garnish with extra parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve over pasta, mashed potatoes, or creamy polenta to soak up the luscious sauce.