Hello my wonderful baking friends! I’m so excited to share with you today an amazing new bread recipe that has quickly become one of the most beloved recipes on my site. I’m talking about my incredible homemade Caramel Cream Cheese Bread!
This showstopping bread is beyond delicious – it produces a loaf of the softest, fluffiest sweet bread imaginable, swirled generously with thick layers of rich cream cheese and sweet, gooey caramel throughout. Every single bite is an absolute experience as the textures and flavors blend together so perfectly. You’ve never tasted bread this good!
I create this stunner by starting with a basic unsliced white or brioche bread loaf. I carefully flatten each slice to fit neatly into a loaf pan. Next, I spread the slices with a heavenly cream cheese mixture flavored with cinnamon and butter. Then I drizzle gooey caramel sauce into the bottom of the pan before stacking in the cream cheese-covered bread slices.
After baking, the bread emerges with a golden crust encasing distinctive swirls of melted cream cheese and glistening caramel throughout every slice. It’s sweet bakery-style bliss in a homemade loaf!
I love how customizable this recipe is too. You can swirl in different fillings like pecan pie filling, lemon curd, Nutella or jam instead of the caramel. No matter what, you end up with a showstopping loaf that tastes as impressive as it looks.
The textures and flavors of this bread are so amazing. Every bite is an experience that I can’t wait for you to try. It’s easier to make than you’d think too. In just a few simple steps, you can have beautiful caramel cream cheese bread to enjoy all week long.
Let me walk you through how to create this stunner step-by-step. I know you’re going to love it as much as I do!
What type of bread should I use?
An unsliced white bread or brioche loaf works best. The slices will stack neatly and hold together well.
Can I use light cream cheese?
Regular full-fat cream cheese provides the richest flavor. I don’t recommend low-fat varieties here.
What if I don’t have caramel sauce?
You can make easy homemade caramel by cooking butter, brown sugar, and cream. Store-bought works too!
How do I get clean slices of the finished bread?
Let the bread cool completely so the caramel sets up. Use a serrated knife to neatly slice through the layers.
Can I swap in different flavors?
Absolutely! Try pecan pie filling or Nutella instead of the caramel for delicious twists.
How long will the bread stay fresh?
Store tightly wrapped at room temperature up to 3 days. The caramel keeps it moist.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 loaf unsliced white bread (about 20 slices)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- To start, preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan well with butter or non-stick spray. This prevents sticking. Carefully slice an unsliced white or brioche loaf width-wise into 1/2 inch slices. You’ll need about 18-20 total. Gently flatten them with a rolling pin until pliable and thin enough to lay flat in the pan. Be careful not to tear the bread.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine 8oz softened regular cream cheese, 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Blend with a mixer or spoon until completely smooth and uniform. Evenly spread this cream cheese mixture in a 1/4 inch layer onto one side of each flattened bread slice using an offset spatula or butter knife.
- Pour 1/2 cup caramel sauce over the bottom of the prepared loaf pan. Spread it evenly with a spoon, then tilt to coat. Starting at one short end, place a cream cheese-covered slice in the pan filling side up, trimming if needed to fit. Repeat, overlapping slices slightly, until the pan is full and snugly packed.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Then tent foil over the top and bake 10 more minutes. The top should be lightly browned and the center hot. Let the pan cool on a wire rack 10-15 minutes before removing the loaf. Gently loosen sides with a knife and invert onto a platter.
- Allow the bread to cool completely, about 1 hour, before slicing to let the caramel thicken. Use a serrated knife to cut neat slices through the beautiful swirled layers. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature up to 3 days. Enjoy this showstopper on its own or toasted!
- For best results, allow all the ingredients to come to room temperature before preparing. Cold ingredients can make the bread hard to assemble.
- If the bread seems dry, tent foil over the top during the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning.
- For a thicker layer of caramel, double the caramel sauce. Just keep some extra on hand for drizzling over slices.
- Swap the brown sugar for pure maple syrup for a subtle flavor twist.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans between the bread slices for delightful crunch.
- Serve warm and enjoy within 2 days for ultimate freshness. This is great for breakfast or dessert!