Any time is a good time to share a banana cream pie. As a dessert at lunch or dinner, in a tasty snack, in a break at the office, banana cream pie is always welcome. Its flavor and soft texture please everyone. It is especially good for using those ripe bananas that are leftover and that nobody eats anymore. Easy and practical, this homemade banana cake recipe will pleasantly surprise your guests.
Bananas, an ideal ingredient
The banana is a fruit that integrates easily into many recipes. In Latin and tropical cuisine, the plantain makes its presence felt. And it is not only used in desserts, but also savory dishes. The origin of the fruit is in Southeast Asia, although its commercial cultivation began in the Canary Islands. From its area of origin, it spread to tropical and subtropical regions. At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, commercial cultivation began.
The banana is easily found in all markets and points of sale around the world. For this reason, it is a fruit that people consume. It is always there, within reach, with its tempting presence. Its aroma and color invite you to buy it.
For the base cake:
- 5 bananas
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 eggs
- 200 grams of butter
- 350 g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 300 grams of sugar
- 300 grams natural yogurt
For the topping:
300 g cream
100 g ripe bananas
400 g powdered sugar
- Cut the bananas and mash them in a food processor or blender. Add the lemon juice. It should be a thick paste.
- In another bowl, sift the flour and mix it with the baking powder.
- Add the softened butter to the flour and gradually add the sugar.
- Slightly beat the yogurt. If it is too thick, add a few spoonfuls of milk. Add the eggs one by one and mix well.
- Add the yogurt and egg mixture to the flour, butter, and sugar mixture.
- Add the mashed bananas. The mixture of all the ingredients should be well integrated and homogeneous.
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Cover the bottom of a cake pan with parchment paper and pour the cake mixture.
- Bake in the oven for approximately one hour. Use a toothpick to check if it has been set. If not, keep it in the oven for a few more minutes. It should be golden brown. Remove, let it cool and unmold.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the topping. Mash the banana and whip the cream to make it creamy.
- Mix the cream and the mashed banana, add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue mixing until a homogeneous coating is obtained.
- Spread the frosting over the cold cake and place it in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Homemade-style banana cake.
- Instead of mashing all the bananas, another option is to cut some into slices. This brings out the flavor of the fruit. It is incorporated into the mixture along with the puree.
- The paste of this tart can be used as a filling for large or individual tartlets. To do this, simply line the bottom of the molds with puff pastry or tartlet dough and fill it with the preparation. Bake in the oven and that’s it.
- Instead of the cream topping, you can use pastry cream. A very simple recipe is to mix 2 egg yolks with 100 grams of sugar. Add 50 g cornstarch. Heat 400 ml of milk. Add the egg mixture to the hot milk and stir so that it is not cut. Stir constantly until it thickens. It is very healthy and tasty. It goes very well with bananas.
- You already have this very practical, nutritious, and delicious banana cake recipe. As you can see, it can be adapted to the preferences of the diners. And it always turns out well. There are no excuses to delay this preparation. So we invite you to prepare it today. It is also an excellent way for the little ones in the house to enjoy these desserts and their nutrients.